Monday, August 6, 2012

August 6th, 2012 - Evening Workouts Are Weird

I overslept this morning.  Not intentionally.  I've got a dual alarm clock; I set Alarm 1 (6a) instead of Alarm 2 (5a).  So no morning workout for me.  Bah.

Luckily, my boss was totally cool and let me go home early yesterday.  I asked to go home early because I needed to spend some time tidying up the house before Mrs. Wife returned from visiting friends in Chicago.  Tidying took less time than expected, so I was able to fit in a makeup workout in the evening before dinner.

The workout was odd.


  1. I normally get through my entire warmup before I've really woken up.  It's a lot easier to do planks when your brain doesn't really realize what's going on.  
  2. Different lighting in my garage makes me feel differently.  There's something about working out when it's dark out that keeps me focused.  Last night, I kept getting distracted by the world outside.
  3. The PWO meal after an evening workout can be way more awesome than plain ol' bacon and eggs.  I had a 21 oz. pan-seared ribeye, a sweet potato, some grapes, and a glass of Macallan.  I felt like a king.
  4. Sleeping after a workout was surprisingly difficult.  I generally get REALLY tired about 2 hours after completing my workout, but 2.5 hours after completing a workout, I get a second wind that lasts 1-2 hours.  That second wind coincided with me laying my head down to sleep.  Whoops.


I'm beginning research to majorly overhaul my workout.  I feel like I'm getting bored with basic strength calisthenics and not working towards any of my gymnastics goals.  So, over the next month or so, I'm going to come up with a mostly new program that will allow me to focus on the fundamental static positions: front lever, back lever, planche, and handstands.  As my first change, I'm going to replace ring pushups with the planche progression and replace ring rows with the front lever progression.  All I've really learned about my new program style is that programming with static holds is more difficult and more time consuming.

I worked out today:
8 Toes to Bar
2x10 Hanging Fron Raise
3x75s RKC Planks
3x8 Ring Rows (rings@38", feet@35")
3x8 Ring Pushups (rings@38", feet@35")
3x8 Bodyweight curls (rings@38", legs bent)
2x5,2x4 Ring Dips
3x8 Pistols (all freestanding with very minor support out of bottom position with hands)
2x8 Modified GHRs
1x3 GHR eccentrics
4 Chin-ups
4 Wide Ring Pushups (awesome!)


No comments:

Post a Comment